Yesterday evening I attended the opera here in Lucca, and yes Shelli, I wore the black dress. About a year ago I purchased a fabulous little black dress that, Prescott being Prescott and me being me, I had yet to wear. So when I decided to come to Italy, my friend Shelli convinced me that I needed to take the dress and come up with an occasion to wear it. Okay, so saying she convinced me is really not the right way to put it, I believe it involved a dare and her riding a zip line through the canopy of a jungle in Mexico, but the end result was the same, and I wore my fabulous little black dress last night to the opera. Which made me realize that I should have come up with a reason to wear it a long time ago, Prescott or not. I feel like I have missed out on so many opportunities because I was waiting for someone else to take the lead.
The opera I attended was Manon Lescaut by Giacomo Puccini, Lucca’s favorite son. From what I could tell (I’ll have to look it up when I get home to be sure) it was about a man who falls in love with a loose woman, she is arrested for prostitution and is shipped out to a penal colony (he goes with her), where she dies in the desert, not very uplifting, but the music was beautiful. It occurred to me as I was sitting there, that when you are Italian and you go to the opera, you actually understand what they are singing, unlike those of us who just go for the overall feel of the music. So then a second thought occurred to me, what then is the difference between an opera and a musical? I guess I’ll have to ask one of my opera singing friends when I get back.
I have always said that every girl/woman deserves a tiara, if for nothing else, just to wear when you vacuum your house, to make you feel special. I think now I’ll add that she also needs a fabulous little black dress that she wears for no other reason than that it makes her feel good about herself.
Sorry no pictures of the inside of the theater, but I refuse to be one of those people who take snapshots at the opera :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Happy Thanksgiving Laura Beth!!
Thanks for the photographic proof! It is a great dress! Sounds to me like you are having a memorable time over there! It is hard to imagine that as I am sitting here in my house at camp, that you are all the way over in Stinking Italy! Weird! Paul just sent me the link to your blog, so I am catching up! Keep up the awesome posts and stories!
Umm...P.S. this is Shelli BTW!
Aunt karen says BRAVO to you kiddo for really doing this, really going all that way and thanks for showing us the wonders you are experiencing. I love you, return home safely to all of us.
Post a Comment