Monday, November 24, 2008

Bon Apatite

How can you come to Italy and not at least mention the food? I have had some food the was really great, and some that tasted like it came from a truck parked next to the Coloseum (okay, so it did come from a truck parked next to the Coloseum but that’s beside the point. By the way, I would not recommend it, the US definitely has the advantage when it comes to fast food). I have not eaten out too much, and certainly not at high dollar places, but most of what I have had in sit down restaurants or cafés has been great. Pizza should come from a place where they make it and cook it (in a wood fire oven) right in front of you, not the places where it is pre-made (usually comes out cold). Good pizza here does not come with tomato sauce, but does have some interesting ingredients (turns out I love eggplant on my pizza).

I have seen very little chicken or beef on the menu, at least in the region where I am staying, but a lot of pork. Needless to say I am mostly eating vegetarian. Although I shocked even myself and ate some homemade spicy pork sausage that Lucia (Anna’s Italian roommate) brought from her home in Naples. I decided before I left that I would not limit my experiences during this time, and honestly, it was great.

Gelato of course could be a whole blog on its own, and you may have noticed my gelato rankings (purely based on personal preferences). So far the best gelato I have had was in Perugia when I was visiting Anna, the biscotti flavor was heavenly. It seems finding the best gelato is an art form, and everyone has their opinion. Try to find a place off the beaten track, rather than the ones catering specifically to the tourist. Look for a place that makes it fresh and on site, rather than from a mix. Look for natural colors in the gelato (this means that the banana will be kind of grey and the pistachio will be a dull green) rather than bright colors that would indicate coloring has been added. And mostly, try it every chance you get.

Even cooking for myself in my apartment, I find myself trying new things just based on the ingredients available. The cheese is great (who knew that mozzarella comes in fresh hunks about the size of an apple, rather than shredded in little plastic bags) and one of my favorite things to eat is slices of tomato and mozzarella drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkled with just a pinch of salt and pepper. While you can’t find peanut butter anywhere here, Nutella is amazing, especially spread on a croissant or just eaten straight out of the jar by the spoonful (hey, when in Rome). I have no idea why Americans have not latched on to this nutty, chocolaty goodness, but I’m definitely going to start a petition when I get back. I guess if I had to describe the Italian cuisine I have experienced so far in just a few words, I would have to say fresh and simple.

1 comment:

Pressnalls said...

I spotted Nutella the other day at Fry's on Fair St. So when you get back, you won't have to go without!